Friday, 4 April 2014

Glorious!


Post storm morning sun brought out the most amazing butterflies! I’ve never seen such phenomenal colours or such enormous wingspans, or the sheer quantity of diverse designs. Wandering up to the Paku waterfall on our own Paul and I saw so much wildlife, lizards drying in the heat, stick insects lying on the path, dragon flies flashing across the waters as we sat admiring the falls in the shady banks.
Butterflies


Lizard
Stick Insect
Paku Waterfall
And later today a truly wonderful experience. The unique sight of the bats in their full glory pouring in their millions out of the Deer Cave spiralling into the sky. On our final evening we finally got to see the entire ‘show’-the waves of bats on our first evening had been moving enough but this massive outpouring reduced me to tears of joy!

Even more so because it was unexpected-yet again the evening rainstorm had descended-but we sat in the downpour peering up at the bat hole anyway, and then suddenly the bats poured out of the cave mouth, millions upon millions, a black continuous ribbon streaming up the rocks and out into the sky.

I have never in my life seen anything like it! It took 30 minutes before the bat river drew to a close; leaving us totally exhilarated. A wonderful end to a wonderful stay, Mulu is such a special place; I shall always treasure the memories of this visit.



Sections of the Millions of bats on their evening exodus


No comments:

Post a Comment