Well, for anyone feeling jealous of my exciting time, this will make you cheer you up and make sitting on a comfy sofa with tea and TV seem just fine!
Up early, packed and ready to leave for Hoi An, only to receive an email saying the flight was delayed by 6 hours…luckily I caught the email, but not in time to do much other than mooch grumpily around the city.
On the plus side, I wandered around the side streets not yet discovered, and found a tiny local hair salon offering manicures and pedicures for 15,000 each (that’s less than a pound). Everyone seemed very friendly, no English but many Vietnamese who were keen to offer a space in the crowded room.
An hour and a half later, I kid you not, I was suitably buffed, trimmed, scrubbed and had the cleanest, tidiest nails on my hands and feet for many a year. Free oranges thrown in.
Off to the airport in relatively high spirits, only to find yet another non notified delay, a domestic terminal bursting at the seams with students going home for Tet –trust me to pick the first day of the season’s college vacation.
The endless wait and the ceaseless noise did get to me. Young Vietnamese are very sweet though, one came over and gave me a cuddle, another shared her (very pricey) hot sweet coffee with me, and when the plane arrived, we got on one door as the passengers got off the other…so in fairness to cheap airlines, they don’t muck around. The 90 minute flight was down with 50, so I reckon the pilot had had enough too!
Bless them, I had notified the hotel but I was still hours later than expected, but the driver was there, and the staff had waited up with fresh fruit and a welcoming smile, a warm greeting from a family all lined up in their pyjamas smiling and nodding.
The room was refreshingly large, and the weather refreshingly cool, so as Thursday became Friday I settle in at last in Hoi An.
Up early, packed and ready to leave for Hoi An, only to receive an email saying the flight was delayed by 6 hours…luckily I caught the email, but not in time to do much other than mooch grumpily around the city.
On the plus side, I wandered around the side streets not yet discovered, and found a tiny local hair salon offering manicures and pedicures for 15,000 each (that’s less than a pound). Everyone seemed very friendly, no English but many Vietnamese who were keen to offer a space in the crowded room.
An hour and a half later, I kid you not, I was suitably buffed, trimmed, scrubbed and had the cleanest, tidiest nails on my hands and feet for many a year. Free oranges thrown in.
Off to the airport in relatively high spirits, only to find yet another non notified delay, a domestic terminal bursting at the seams with students going home for Tet –trust me to pick the first day of the season’s college vacation.
The endless wait and the ceaseless noise did get to me. Young Vietnamese are very sweet though, one came over and gave me a cuddle, another shared her (very pricey) hot sweet coffee with me, and when the plane arrived, we got on one door as the passengers got off the other…so in fairness to cheap airlines, they don’t muck around. The 90 minute flight was down with 50, so I reckon the pilot had had enough too!
Bless them, I had notified the hotel but I was still hours later than expected, but the driver was there, and the staff had waited up with fresh fruit and a welcoming smile, a warm greeting from a family all lined up in their pyjamas smiling and nodding.
The room was refreshingly large, and the weather refreshingly cool, so as Thursday became Friday I settle in at last in Hoi An.
Do you know who I am?
ReplyDeleteI can find you now. I miss you...
I wrote you an email. Hope you be find.
#Young Vietnamese here^^