Pics show the elephant trade in full swing here; tour buses load passengers on them –the poor animals look so fed up and sad. The stunning stone carvings of these beautiful giant creatures running for miles along the ‘terrace of elephants’ in Angkor Thom is wonderful, a moving mural, spoilt only by the real elephants plodding alongside.
| Bored Elephants |
| Carved Elephants |
There are so many temples, the roads twist and turn around lakes where local families swim/wash and graze their cattle, past dry swamps eerie with white tree trunks rising from the dark still water, through forests ancient and new-multi national funding to replant from deforestation-many have a complex history, the Buddhist origins recarved into Hindu gods as the Kingdom changed. Shrines appear in the darkest corner or the highest pillar, the air suddenly filling with incense.
| temple originally Buddhist then resculptured into Hindu worship |
I am glad now I have taken the time to explore both Angkor and Siem Reap. Angkor is so vast its true beauty is slowly revealed. Siem Reap is a shopping mecca-night markets/day markets everywhere, massages for a dollar –I had a complimentary one here at the guest house which was very welcome!-‘same same’ products as throughout Asia obviously but its all rather fun-the town exists to serve tourists, it reminds me of a tiny Vegas in the Cambodian desert.
The downside is that I ache all over, every bone in my body hurts-today I cycled the 17 mile ‘grand tour’ along the bumpy dirt tracks. stopping only for an iced coffee in a roadside shack, sustained by my picnic of bananas and crackers. By the time I returned here tonight I was literally too exhausted to climb the stairs to my fourth floor room and had to sit in reception being plied with free sweet iced coffee and banana chips by the kind staff, bless them!
I am hoping to take the bike again tomorrow, but I am also hoping to be able to move-the first will depend on the second!
No comments:
Post a Comment