For once, I am doing nothing! No boat trips, no sightseeing tours, no forays into the town. I walk along the beach 3 kms to Otres 2 for breakfast soon after sunrise, catch up on the BBC News playing in the hostel there, enjoy my pancakes feet up on the sandy sofa in a shady bamboo shack, wander back before the heat rises and fall exhausted onto a sunbed.
Lying under the trees inches from the calm warm waves I read and sleep and swim until the heat passes, buying fresh coconut, iced coffee and fruit from the café and passing vendors.
By late afternoon it is cool enough to walk once more, this time in the opposite direction. I’ve learnt to time the stroll so that I have time to get back before darkness descends as it is pitch black here then and impossible to see anything!
In the evening I sit under the stars reading/writing the blog/washing the endless sand out of everything-impossible and thankless task as this hut is set in sand dunes and then there’s the beach so there is nothing but sand, sand and more sand…
The loo has to be ‘flushed’ with a bucket, the water is cold and brown, the hut is unbearably hot at times, the ants are the least of my wildlife companions-I did take exception to an enormous wasp this morning-but the peace, the silence, the sheer luxury of doing nothing, is wonderful. Not long now til Paul comes out to join me for Borneo and I needed this rest, I was bone achingly weary. More than I realised. It is unusual for me to stop, rare for me not to be twitchy, but here I find I can do nothing, be still, and relax. ‘Just chilling’ (though it is impossible to be cool, even the seawater is boiling!) is fantastic.
Lying under the trees inches from the calm warm waves I read and sleep and swim until the heat passes, buying fresh coconut, iced coffee and fruit from the café and passing vendors.
| The Beach |
In the evening I sit under the stars reading/writing the blog/washing the endless sand out of everything-impossible and thankless task as this hut is set in sand dunes and then there’s the beach so there is nothing but sand, sand and more sand…
| Sunset |
The loo has to be ‘flushed’ with a bucket, the water is cold and brown, the hut is unbearably hot at times, the ants are the least of my wildlife companions-I did take exception to an enormous wasp this morning-but the peace, the silence, the sheer luxury of doing nothing, is wonderful. Not long now til Paul comes out to join me for Borneo and I needed this rest, I was bone achingly weary. More than I realised. It is unusual for me to stop, rare for me not to be twitchy, but here I find I can do nothing, be still, and relax. ‘Just chilling’ (though it is impossible to be cool, even the seawater is boiling!) is fantastic.
No comments:
Post a Comment